Welcome to Grand Theft ArmA - The Altis Life Community

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Have you linked your in-game account with the forums yet? If not then do it now and claim your £125,000 cash reward and forum award!

Link account
DnA

1st Person View - Trial #3

602 posts in this topic

pXA08Pu.png

1st Person - Trial #3

At 12pm today we'll be trailing forced 1st person on our servers with a few changes made to how it's worked in the past. For those of you that aren't aware of how we trialled this previously:

Trial #1

Was pretty straight forward the first time around, we straight up disallowed 3rd person anywhere and everywhere except green zones. It was clear after not too long that this wasn't really a solution that many people like so it was removed fairly quickly. The most consistent feedback we received was regarding lack of 3rd person when driving which made it difficult to drive effectively.

Trial #2

Taking into account the feedback from the first trial, changes were made so 3rd person was only allowed if you were driving a vehicle. The change was a positive one for the majority although issues still remained. The main concerns that the community had during this trial were:

1. Motion sickness when performing actions such as gathering and processing. This was mainly due to the animations that were used at the time when performing an action.
  2. People liked to view their characters in 3rd person especially when role-playing.

A New Trial

So after taking feedback from the previous trials into consideration I've prepared a new set of limitations regarding 1st/3rd person view that we'd like to trial on our servers. So here's how it's going to work this time around:

• If a player has a weapon equipped, 3rd person will not be available. If you holster your weapon, you must wait 30 seconds before being able to access 3rd person view again.
  • 3rd person will be available if you are driving a vehicle.

Why are we doing this?

While we are a roleplay server at heart, combat is also a large part of our community. Almost everyone loves a good firefight which is nothing to be ashamed of, this is ArmA after all. With that being said however, it's no secret that 3rd person in a combat orientated situation provides an unfair and stale experience if you're on the wrong side of it. This is exactly why popular games such as Battlefield, Call of Duty, Counter Strike don't allow 3rd person. With the changes proposed above for our new trial are a compromise so that we can hopefully provide great experiences for both the roleplay and combat aspects of our server.

How long will the new trial last?

There's no set time or date when the trial will end. We're going to see how it goes and gather as much feedback as we can. Depending on the feedback we receive we'll see if changes can be made to accommodate any concerns. Ultimately however if it's not viable with the new changes, then we'll put an end to the trial.

Conclusion

Moving forward we'll be using this thread for feedback, so if you have any positive or negative feedback then feel free to provide it in a constructive manner here. Also feel free to message any senior admin directly with your feedback. I'll also be hosting a community on Teamspeak meeting at 12pm UK time today to address any immediate questions and concerns regarding the changes.

- DnA

sounds ok

THANK YOU! Combat / RP is so much more immersive in 1st person, I think this will turn out great!

New Trail looks cool

sounds guuchi

I am happy to try this policy again. 

This sounds great!

hopefully its for the best.

Will definitely change combat... whether for the good or the bad...

happy to try but don't want it the whole time

I dont like this, but let's hope the best. Don't really want to try it the hole time

Edited by Dekssiii

sounds great!  ! :1f443:

1st person only lmao

Every server I've played on thats introduced a 1st person only has always turn't out for the worse.

Yes a few might like it, but watch the percentage of the player base drop by 60% in the first few days.

Edited by meow

personally I dislike the 1st person view, however when using a weapon on the whole most of us 1st person it, So on that basis I cant see this affecting me too much

im sorry but i hate 1st person arma, you see way less then in real life :1f494:

I don't like, it is pretty annoying to use first person while running in combat tbh.

5 minutes ago, DnA said:

If you holster your weapon, you must wait 30 seconds before being able to access 3rd person view again.

Will this be a server rule, or is it a script.

i forget to say ..

when i will be cuffed in third person which i cannot switch for first one ...

is it gonna get fixed ... ? and when i get cuffed i will be first person automatically or what ... ?

Just now, Deezii said:

Will this be a server rule, or is it a script.

Script.

I love the idea of 1st person combat, but I feel like the way it is going to be now can be abused a lot. For example you run around 3rd personing with your weapon holstered and then pull the weapon out when you spot someone. After that holster the weapon again and camp for 30s to be able to 3rd person again.

5 minutes ago, HandyGeek said:

i don't like this

5 minutes ago, RedxSkull said:

it wont be good :1f60c:

Just now, kefster said:

Noooo!!!! pls Don't

Try it out then complain?

Just now, Casey said:

Try it out then complain?

already did in other sever...

6 minutes ago, Deezii said:

"Moving forward we'll be using this thread for feedback, so if you have any positive or negative feedback then feel free to provide it in a constructive manner here. "

This isn't very constructive is it?

He doesnt like it, he likes 3rd person more what more is there to say? Why didnt you quote the 10 other replies who said they like it and asked for the opinion on liking it?

Just now, Andrej said:

He doesnt like it, he likes 3rd person more what more is there to say? Why didnt you quote the 10 other replies who said they like it and asked for the opinion on liking it?

Maybe he likes 3rd person. But the question is why does he like it, and why does he dislike 1st person.

happy to try but don't want it the whole time...