Welcome to Grand Theft ArmA - The Altis Life Community

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Grand Theft ArmA is looking to expand its development team, do you have what it takes?

Read more
Lakotiz

announcement
Grand Theft ArmA Wiki

Grand Theft ArmA Wiki   388 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a community driven Wiki would be a good alternative to the current outdated guide?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

116 posts in this topic

pXA08Pu.png

Grand Theft ArmA Wiki

Hello people of Grand Theft ArmA!

As you all know, we have a Guide on the website, but sadly it hasn’t been updated a lot recently and whenever it’s being updated, it’s usually because members of the community push us to do so by contributing with finished texts.

The idea of the community helping by contributing towards the guide, is something that we like a lot, not to mention that the perspective some of these texts will be put are better coming from a player instead of an admin that sometimes doesn’t have much time play the servers himself.

So we’ve wanted to take that to the next level for a while and completely replace the guide with a community driven Wiki page, that will be handled by some chosen editors and even a Wiki project lead, which will be in charge of the structure and everything that comes with it.

Before we actually launch the project officially, I would love to see if there’s an actual interest for it, if people think that a well written GTA Wiki will be a better alternative than the guide and if there’s people willing to contribute by running it.

My idea is that the people taking part in the project by contributing will be given a unique forum tag/group, with special permissions to their own forum and more which will work as a work space for them, besides that I’ll also be willing to throw some Teamspeak tags and even a little Editors HQs with sub channels on Teamspeak somewhere, where you can have meetings and more.

I’ve included a poll in the top of this thread, where you can vote on your opinion on this whole Wiki page, if it’s actually a better alternative.

If you aren’t familiar with Wiki’s and want a well put example then I’d recommend checking this one out: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Terraria_Wiki

I’ve enabled my PM's on the forums as well for now, if someone has an interest in taking charge of this project, where you’ll be able to send me an “application” explaining why it should be you (it's a very big plus if you have any kind of experience with handling Wiki pages). 

The Wiki project lead will be in charge of the structure and even recruitment of editors, it’ll be a respectable role with a direct line to higher up staff members.

Looking forward to seeing what we can all come up with together.

- The Staff Team

looks cool

Great idea!

Looking awesome. I hope I get a good chance at the position as I really enjoyed working on the guide.

Edited by strideynet

Yes please, the current guide is very out of date.

Would help a lot

yes

yes

Think this would be great and would help new players out a lot and of course people that are not sure on certain things.

Yes, it would be really Nice...

This would be so great as the guide is way to outdated and with the wiki we can proberly provide way more information than with the guide

Sounds like a great idea!

I think this is a great idea. It will free staff's time so they do not have to update it every time there is a new update and will hopefully help people more.
Love this idea!

Sounds good. I wouldn't mind spending some time writing a good guide.

Yep!

Think this would be a good idea. Happy to contribute to getting it set up n running too if needed.

Will we be using MediaWiki?

Edited by Extreme

Very good idea. :1f472:

Awesome idea, It'll take a lot of hard work but I'm sure it'll turn out to be pretty great!

Great idea! I'd happily help out! 

Yes, a wiki would be amazing.

I would love to contribute to a Wiki should it exist!

56 minutes ago, Extreme said:

Will we be using MediaWiki?

From what I have seen, yes.

Sorry for not including that in the topic, it's indeed MediaWiki software we'll be using.

Sounds like a very good and usefull idea. It would definitely help out a lot of people, especially the new ones.

7 minutes ago, Lakotiz said:

Sorry for not including that in the topic, it's indeed MediaWiki software we'll be using.

Do you know yet how long you intend to keep applications open?