Welcome to Grand Theft ArmA - The Altis Life Community

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Grand Theft ArmA is looking to expand its development team, do you have what it takes?

Read more
DnA

Apex, Tanoa and the New Framework

584 posts in this topic

gta_logo.png

Greetings everyone.

First of all it has been some time since I have made an official announcement, so please be gentle. I'll be going over our plans for Apex & Tanoa, as well as shedding some more light on the ever elusive new framework that some of you may of heard whispers of. 

Apex & Tanoa

With the release of Apex looming, the question of whether the citizens of Altis will be enjoying the tropical island of Tanoa is a predominant one among many of you. The answer to this question is simply, yes. We'll be working on Tanoa life for all owners of Apex to enjoy upon release (11th of July). Tanoa is 100 km² of South Pacific island archipelago that really fits "life" perfectly. The island is very colourful and is filled with many detailed towns, cities and locations that haven't been decayed by civil war, unlike Altis.

With the release of Apex comes a decent amount of new assets including new clothing, weapons and vehicles. I won't unfortunately be able to give you too much detail regarding what assets will be made available to our players at this time, rest assured it is being discussed by the senior staff team.

On our current framework, the database between Altis and Tanoa will be linked, so your money, vehicles, perks, experience and inventory will be shared. Housing on Tanoa will be non existent. The reason for no housing is a technical one, and while it can be overcome I'd rather spend my time developing the new framework.

Details as to the locations of things such as resources, spawn locations etc will be announced closer to the release date of Apex. @LSK has been working hard on porting over our current version of Altis life to Tanoa, so be sure to thank him when you get the chance.

As for how many servers we will be running on Tanoa, this is very much dependent on the community. We'll start with 1 server and if Tanoa proves itself popular among our community, we will of course accommodate.

New Framework

So....

The new framework is something I've been developing both actively and inactively over the past year. The framework itself has been through roughly 4 redesigns and every detail has been subject to my intense scrutiny. I have a high standard when it comes to quality as many of you may know which has of course taken its toll on time. It's a work ethic that many of you will appreciate upon release I'm sure.

To clear a few things up, the new framework has been coded and designed from the ground up. Nothing from the old framework (current mission) will be migrated that hasn't already been imported from the new framework (view settings for example). It's a foundation that is easy to build upon later, allowing me to implement cool new features easily. As well as being a superb foundation, the new framework is also focused on optimising server and client performance. 

I've been reluctant to release details due to certain other "developers" and communities who brazenly steal my work and credit themselves, but I think it's time to lift the curtain slightly. Here are a few details I'm willing to share at this point:

• Skills
    • One of the larger new features that will be available from day 1.
    • Skills represent actions that can be taken in game such as gathering, processing or driving.
    • Skills are based on an experience system unique to each skill ranging from level 1 to 100.
    • Leveling up skills will unlock the ability to gather new resources, access bigger and better vehicles and buy more powerful weapons (some examples).
    • Some skills such as gathering have a passive effect that will increase your gathering proficiency depending on your level.
    • The XP and level system as you know it is gone. Instead, all of your skill levels will be combined to make up your total player level.
    • Your player level will determine how many perk points are available for you to spend.
    • Here's a screenshot of the Skills UI (the skills listed may not be final). It should give you a better feel for the system, as well as showing that I'm dope at chemistry.
  • Groups (previously known as Gangs)
    • Players will have the ability to create groups for free.
    • Groups will have a member cap of 20 (including offline players).
    • When a player is invited to a group that has over 10 members, a fee must be paid by the player being invited.
    • Groups will have 3 member permission levels: Member, Officer and Leader.
    • Renaming "Gangs" to "Groups" made sense for many reasons, including RP.
  • Player positions will now be persistent.
    • Whenever a player logs off, their position is saved.
    • Upon logging back in, the player will be spawned in the closest major town to their previous position.
    • Upon dying or being new to the island, the player will be presented with a spawn selection screen.
    • All major towns that a player can be automatically spawned at will have a vehicle garage of some kind available.
  • Data between islands will be partially linked.
    • Vehicles and inventory items will be island specific.
    • Skills, cash/bank, groups and permissions (Police rank, NHS rank etc) will be persistent between islands.
    • Having a partial link will allow each island (Altis and Tanoa) to be balanced separately, as well as having island specific content such as gathering resources.
  • Every player will start from square one.
    • No data between the old framework and the new framework will be migrated.
    • This is primarily due to balancing reasons as the economy in the new framework will be far less inflated.
    • Starting fresh is the only true way to experience the new framework's new activities and progression system.

My plans to release the new framework are still up in the air, but there will be a public playtest available to Donators, Lifetime Donators, Contributors and Patreons (as a small thank you for supporting our server) in the next month or two hopefully. When all the basic systems have been thoroughly tested and are considered stable, the new framework will pushed to all of our live servers. From that point, focus on new features and activities will begin.

I hope this announcement has put most of your questions to rest and quenched a little of your thirst for details regarding the new framework. Grand Theft ArmA stands as the largest ArmA roleplay community in the UK and Europe, and all of this is possible due to our community's amazing support and dedication. We have a lot to look forward to in the near future, and I'm looking forward to sharing more details with you when they're ready.

Cant wait! 

Nice!

Finally

Sounds good lads - Lets go

YASSSSS!

Can't wait for the AKM

Can't wait  :P

cannot wait

Can't wait for it.

Sick +2

I am so exited for this 

Just going to quote for those that don't understand.

I presume this means there will be a full reset , by any chance will exclusive vehicles etc be transferred?  

Can't wait, great work!

Good job on the framework so far, cannot wait. 

Just now, Richards said:

I presume this means there will be a full reset , by any chance will exclusive vehicles etc be transferred?  

Full reset with the release of the new framework.

So, once the new framework is released will everyone be reset on both Altis and Tanoa? if so my dreams of becoming a kavala hobo once more have come true and that makes me very happy.

Edited by Trey

Wait, won't the money be converted what about the people that really worked hard for it???.. other than that nice updates.

Great to hear that most of the data will be persistent between the islands. Great job guys!

1 minute ago, Phenomenal said:

Wait, won't the money be converted what about the people that really worked hard for it???.. other than that nice updates.

Did you even read the post?

Awesome stuff mate

1 minute ago, Havok said:

Did you even read the post?

Awesome stuff mate

I did and i'm just checking twice with the staff members what's wrong with that?

rip all the stuff you done runs for for over a year

Not sure about the entire square one thing, but can you clarify, will this wipe only be on Tanoa or altis as well? Also, will the ban list get transferred over? 

1 minute ago, Barneyy said:

Not sure about the entire square one thing, but can you clarify, will this wipe only be on Tanoa or altis as well? Also, will the ban list get transferred over? 

I don't want it on both servers lmao