Welcome to Grand Theft ArmA - The Altis Life Community

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Grand Theft ArmA is looking to expand its development team, do you have what it takes?

Read more
Max Carver

Admin Q&A

112 posts in this topic

Who is the appropriate person to notify when I need to be added to a group here on the forums (ex. I am in NHS, but I have no NHS tag).

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Who is the appropriate person to notify when I need to be added to a group here on the forums (ex. I am in NHS, but I have no NHS tag).

Theres a thread for JUST that, search

Edited by Bjorhusdal

58 minutes ago, Logic said:

Do you guys find it hard to balance admin/work/family life all into one?

1 hour ago, TacticalHornet said:

Do you guys find it hard to balance admin/work/family life all into one?

I think we all have a good balance, sometimes things in real life come up but the rest of us pick up the slack.

An example being when I found my current job, I was away from the server for a few months, however everything was still getting done by thenother staffmembers.

I think all the staff are in agreement that real life comes first, but I suppose the same question coul be reversed and asked "How do you balance video games/ work/ family life all into one?"

12 hours ago, Raiden said:

I think we all have a good balance, sometimes things in real life come up but the rest of us pick up the slack.

An example being when I found my current job, I was away from the server for a few months, however everything was still getting done by thenother staffmembers.

I think all the staff are in agreement that real life comes first, but I suppose the same question coul be reversed and asked "How do you balance video games/ work/ family life all into one?"

well like what you said when i have spare time i hop on arma or go slay dinos on ark. but being an admin has more responsibilty as you are needed for reports and unbans. have you ever felt like you cannot carry on as admin as it is too much work?

1 hour ago, TacticalHornet said:

well like what you said when i have spare time i hop on arma or go slay dinos on ark. but being an admin has more responsibilty as you are needed for reports and unbans. have you ever felt like you cannot carry on as admin as it is too much work?

Times like that crop up for all of us I think, being a staff member can become hard, it is a lot of work, but each of us do our best to ensure all is done, for instance you may jump straight on ArK, where I will take an hour out to check out the reports then jump on ArK, it's just managing time.

39 minutes ago, Raiden said:

Times like that crop up for all of us I think, being a staff member can become hard, it is a lot of work, but each of us do our best to ensure all is done, for instance you may jump straight on ArK, where I will take an hour out to check out the reports then jump on ArK, it's just managing time.

thats interesting. like you said you wait on hour to check then go on ark. do you feel this takes away enjoyment from video games and makes them seem like a chore. when i used to have my own csgo team, i would spend more time organising events and setting up trainings than i did playing. so it made me feel like i was at work, not having fun. does this ever feel the same to you. do you feel that you come home from work and then work for some extra hours or does it feel more like a hobby and enjoyment.

How many of the head admins and senior admins actually play on the server? I know admins play such as captainA and Phantom, but I very rarely see head and senior admins on. Do you play under different names to 'SPY' on us ahha. I understand your all busy on the servers and forums and I absolutely love that you do, but at the same time I kind of feel sorry for you guys as you do so much for people you don't really know! I love the community and I love everyone, even the ones that get salty and RDM XD, but just from a admins point of view do you play and RP on the server a lot or just the odd game there and then. I have only seen AlexK/Lakotiz on the server when they have a big ass red arrow above their names saying 'STAFF ON DUTY'.

kind Regards

DOG

7 minutes ago, The DOG said:

DOG

Both DnA and redbull play regularely :)

Just now, Bjorhusdal said:

Both DnA and redbull play regularely :)

oh yes I have seen them, the only time I've seen RedBull on but he seems to always have a Navid or a lynx XDD, and that was at the police fair back in June. I seen them on at NATO, but i hope I don't offend any staff or admins by saying this but am I right in saying AlexK and Lakotiz do a lot more regarding servers and updates to the server!? Sorry to the other admins if what I say is total rubbish, but that's how I have kind of seen it due to start screen having there names and what not. :)

34 minutes ago, The DOG said:

oh yes I have seen them, the only time I've seen RedBull on but he seems to always have a Navid or a lynx XDD, and that was at the police fair back in June. I seen them on at NATO, but i hope I don't offend any staff or admins by saying this but am I right in saying AlexK and Lakotiz do a lot more regarding servers and updates to the server!? Sorry to the other admins if what I say is total rubbish, but that's how I have kind of seen it due to start screen having there names and what not. :)

Most of the changelog and updates made by DnA , and server tools made by Stuffz

26 minutes ago, Oliver Green said:

Most of the changelog and updates made by DnA , and server tools made by Stuffz

See that information I didn't know, I knew there were other admins that contributed a lot, just didn't know who!

7 minutes ago, The DOG said:

See that information I didn't know, I knew there were other admins that contributed a lot, just didn't know who!

Well DnA and Stuffz aren't really admins they are Developers/Head Admins. From what I have seen this community does a good job of separating day to day duties such as administration from those such as DnA and Lakotiz whose time is better spent managing/developing, Some servers let it mix far too much and the developers become far too spread out.

5 minutes ago, strideynet said:

Well DnA and Stuffz aren't really admins they are Developers/Head Admins. From what I have seen this community does a good job of separating day to day duties such as administration from those such as DnA and Lakotiz whose time is better spent managing/developing, Some servers let it mix far too much and the developers become far too spread out.

Who are you to answer on their behalf?

Just now, LSK said:

Who are you to answer on their behalf?

I didn't mean to misinform. I apologise if this has prodded a nerve. I simply meant to add to the answer and explain they are "higher" in my eyes than admins and from what I have seen, as well as the info on "the boys" , that they are more management than admins which is not at all a bad thing. 

c3f831a1c554e0dd8c35968d8489e7b3.png

1 minute ago, LSK said:

Okay sorry. It just seemed from the wave of other people answering peoples questions that it had become the norm. I apologise for making assumptions ;(

14 minutes ago, LSK said:

Yes sorry for that, but my question has kind of been answered anyway. Thanks for keeping us on track LSK! We see what role you play :P

my question still stands for an admin to answer :)

Edited by The DOG

How to delete old account and create new one ??

My question is how did you guys become admins, where you just good friends with lako and decide to start the server together?

P.S good job for all work you have done, I appreciate you guys making such a good server that my mum starts to tell me I got no friends and back in her day she would go outsid and play, because of the amount of time I spend on this server.

23 hours ago, Shai Koskas said:

My question is how did you guys become admins, where you just good friends with lako and decide to start the server together?

P.S good job for all work you have done, I appreciate you guys making such a good server that my mum starts to tell me I got no friends and back in her day she would go outsid and play, because of the amount of time I spend on this server.

As it currently stands, no admins in the staff team were here at the server start other than Lako, DnA followed shortly after the server was alive.

We all came to our positions differently, currently you work your way up the ranks from support upto a place that is a good fit for you.

In my own personal case, I applied for staff just over a year ago now, I was interviewed and succeeded in being placed as a moderator. (This was before support.) I spent a large amount of time helping the higher staff with announcements, sorting issues between players on TS, sorting out reports and compensation on the forums along side giving my opinion on server and rule changes. I must have done something right as I was promoted to admin and have been here ever since. 

Other Admins will have different stories on how they "rose to power" as it is treated on an individual basis, each staff member has his, or her, own strengths and weaknesses and it is the boards job to ensure that we are utilising them to our full potential.

An example of this is, I am bad on the techincal side of things, issues with the server or scripting of any sort leaves me in daze. I know enough basics, however for anything more I rely heavily on the staff members that are experienced with these things. However if you need a 300 word announcement I can get it done in 10 minutes or less. If there is a problem between 2 parties I can generally resolve it with both parties happy with the outcome. Also I am good at seeing the larger picture on changes within the server. Of course I have more strengths and more weaknesses but these are what jump to mind. 

But as it currently stands every staff member has reached their respective position due to proving they are a valuable asset to the server whether that be purely tech work or happily going through 60 reports a day, we are here because we worked at it.

12 minutes ago, Raiden said:

As it currently stands, no admins in the staff team were here at the server start other than Lako, DnA followed shortly after the server was alive.

We all came to our positions differently, currently you work your way up the ranks from support upto a place that is a good fit for you.

In my own personal case, I applied for staff just over a year ago now, I was interviewed and succeeded in being placed as a moderator. (This was before support.) I spent a large amount of time helping the higher staff with announcements, sorting issues between players on TS, sorting out reports and compensation on the forums along side giving my opinion on server and rule changes. I must have done something right as I was promoted to admin and have been here ever since. 

Other Admins will have different stories on how they "rose to power" as it is treated on an individual basis, each staff member has his, or her, own strengths and weaknesses and it is the boards job to ensure that we are utilising them to our full potential.

An example of this is, I am bad on the techincal side of things, issues with the server or scripting of any sort leaves me in daze. I know enough basics, however for anything more I rely heavily on the staff members that are experienced with these things. However if you need a 300 word announcement I can get it done in 10 minutes or less. If there is a problem between 2 parties I can generally resolve it with both parties happy with the outcome. Also I am good at seeing the larger picture on changes within the server. Of course I have more strengths and more weaknesses but these are what jump to mind. 

But as it currently stands every staff member has reached their respective position due to proving they are a valuable asset to the server whether that be purely tech work or happily going through 60 reports a day, we are here because we worked at it.

Well thanks for your hard work and thanks for very interesting story on how you became admin, hope to speak with you on teamspeak one day and have a nice conversation.

What has been your most frustrating experience with a player in game?

Do you admins tell your friends/family that u are and admin In an roleplay community?? xDDDDDDDDDD