Welcome to Grand Theft ArmA - The Altis Life Community

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Grand Theft ArmA is looking to expand its development team, do you have what it takes?

Read more
Lakotiz

Guide 2.0 Feedback Thread

23 posts in this topic

kfX0sA3.png

GUIDE FEEDBACK THREAD

This thread will be used to submit feedback on the new guide, if you have any suggestions or maybe some additions to the guide, then please feel free to share it in here!

The guide is an ongoing project which is being adjusted and expanded over time, it's considered a "community" project, which means that everyone is welcome to contribute and can have their content added into the official guide.

The old guide will now be located here, if anyone needs for references to the new one.

Official to-do list:

• Write a generic "Where to start" text, that will help the player to choose which faction and style he'll play with on the servers.
  • Description of whitelisted factions.
  • Gangs.
  • In-depth description of all licenses and jobs.
  • Updated list with all houses (including the new slum ones).
  • Upgrading house locks.
  • Add the overview over all boats on the server.
  • List of all perks.
  • More shit.

Please be aware that it will have some typos, since we haven't really gone completely through it yet, but we will soon. So no need to report the typos, until in a few days where we'll have gone through the whole thing.

Cheers :-)

Pretty sure that a Armed offroad is not a civilian air vehicle 

6be34c08d830e3562dffac5f0169f61c.png

Pretty sure that a Armed offroad is not a civilian air vehicle 

6be34c08d830e3562dffac5f0169f61c.png

My copy pasta was strong within that one, should be fixed now. Cheers.

It may be my limited knowledge of ArmA, but I'm pretty sure a 'Taru Covered' isn't a vehicle. (Located under 'Civilian Air Vehicles'.

Also, maybe an Illegal Weapon/Vehicle List could be added?

Much superior. Thanks guys!

The Vehicles section needs an update after the Apex expansion.

@Lakotiz

Wrote some stuff. More good stuff coming soon!

For within the houses section:

Unfortunately, at this current time the housing system could at best be described at temperamental.  As a result of this you may no longer receive compensation for any glitches which may in some cases lead to the entirety of the house's inventory disappearing.

For a new gang section:

Gangs:

Gangs may be created on the player menu (Y) for the price of {{PRICE}} and provide the following benefits:

• Gang Members appear on the map when the correct perk is enabled.
  • Gang Members appear with a hexagon around them.
  • Gangs may have their own TS Channels and Tags. Click me for more information
  • Gangs may have group initiation. Check out the rules for more
  • Gangs may own "Gang Bases" (also detailed below).

The Gang Base allows all gang members to spawn there as well as to access a wide range of rebel stores. This allows you to gear up without the traditional risk of robbery at rebel outpost. They also provide great strongholds to retreat to after operations. However they don't come cheap. A regular bid is held that reaches the hundreds of millions of ingame monies. The top bidder then gets to pick his gang base, then the second highest bidder and so on and so forth. Because of this many gangs expect their members to contribute an amount of money towards the upkeep of the base. 

Where to Start:

Your first chunk of money is important, if you do one thing ensure that you do not squander it, no matter how tempting it may seem. Should, by the time you have read this, have spent it all on greasy kebabs you may need to politely ask a friendly person for a loan to get you started. Many police officers will be willing to help you if you help them with simple tasks, who knew selling your body could be so profitable. From here you have two distinct options but they both begin with the same steps. It is recommended that you immediately stop spawning in Kavala, the city filled with hell-spawn. Try Pyrgos for a more friendly approach and quieter approach. From here withdraw $30,000 and head to the DVLA building. Here you need to purchase either a Driving License and a Truck License or a Driving License and a Boating license. Boating offers a far lower reward but is also far less risky, and simpler, than the longer runs. I recommend that you start with a Trucking license.  If you wish to follow the trucker method you may then choose which Tier 1 resource you wish to use. Copper is far too saturated and close to the troubles of Kavala. Rocks is now far away from Pyrgos and becoming somewhat popular with thieves. This leaves Rice or Sugar. I personally prefer Sugar. Head to a licensing agency and purchase the license of your desired resource. Now you need to purchase a truck, start by purchasing a cheap vehicle in order to reach truck shop. Whilst an SUV may be preferable in the long run, a cheaper hatchback may serve you better in your first few hours.  

With your newly purchased car, drive on the right side of the road, to the nearest clothing shop and purchase the largest bag that you can afford. Now head out to the nearest truck shop, there is one near Pyrgos and another in the outskirts of Kavala. Purchase a truck boxer to get you started. Now you must head out to the gathering field of your chosen resource, here you will need to press left windows key to gather resources into your inventory. Continue until you have filled your inventory,  you can check this by pressing P. Once your inventory is full look at your truck and press T to access your vehicle's virtual inventory and empty your personal inventory into it. Rinse and repeat until both your personal and vehicle virtual inventory are full.

Now drive to the processing for your resource. Here you need to approach the processing machine and scroll wheel to select process. This will process all of the resource in your personal virtual inventory. Head to your vehicle and swap out the raw and refined resources and continue until you have processed it all. Keep an eye out around you as sometimes players will rob processor instead of the trader. If you suspect any trouble send a police dispatch including where you are, what is wrong and other details. The police generally ignore the un-descriptive one word "Help" dispatches.

Now drive to the trader.  Here you once again need to scroll wheel to access the shop and then you need to sell your resources. Try to go as quickly as possible here and as soon as you are done head to the nearest ATM to deposit your cash!

Whilst doing runs may be boring, it is certainly the most rewarding. For a lower risk, quicker activity, take  fast vehicle and head to any delivery point (DP) and interact with it in order to get a mission. It will tell you which DP to drive to next and deliver the package to. These are quicker than runs but also give much less money, on the other hand they are a great way to start learning about the map!

At the end of the day, how you earn your money is up to you because there is something much more important on this server than anything else. Roleplay. Roleplay is the idea of assuming a character and staying in character whilst you play. Decide who YOU want to be! Refugee from war-torn nation? Altis born and raised? A Russian spy?! You should always value your life and this means if you are outnumbered you must surrender, or if they have a gun pointed at your head from behind et cetera. Not valuing your life is known as "Fail-RP" and can get you a lengthy ban.

Once you have been around for a few weeks your options begin to get more exciting as you can begin to join one of the four factions of the server or a gang. HATO is often the first place to go. They clear the roads and setup diversions where there have been accidents whilst also impounding abandoned vehicles and helping those who have ruined their car in the middle of nowhere. It's a good way to start seeing life from a different angle and presents all sorts of exciting role-play opportunities. After that the NHS is open to you. The NHS revives the unconscious and heals the injured. The paycheck is mighty good and you get a chance to meet people from all walks of life. Finally the APC, or Altis Police Constabulary. The APC works to stop crime and provides a scattering of gunfights amongst constantly entertaining interaction with other players. For some, NATO provides the final stop. They are an incredibly elite unit of military police that only recruit the finest. For others, the gang life might be better suited. Gangs are organised groups of civilians, with benefits described further below, that work together to achieve a single aim. You can see who is recruiting on the forums!

That's all you need to know to get started. Should you need to know more head to the questions section of the forums and ask away or find someone to mentor you as a player, many are willing to do all they can!

@strideynet I'll read your additions tomorrow or something and hopefully add them.

Just now, Lakotiz said:

@strideynet I'll read your additions tomorrow or something and hopefully add them.

Thanks. If you think they are crap just say! I promise it won't hurt my feelings.

There's one thing I do have to say, or would like to add about the guide.

It says in the gaining exp area that you can earn xp through lockpicking vehicles which is untrue (unless I'm the prodigy and am the only person who doesn't :P )

http://imgur.com/r41zS5r

You can see it there as it is one of the things listed.

Money Making Activities in Detail

Fishing

Fishing is perhaps the simplest and quickest form of money production on the server, only requiring a boating license and a boat. Suitable locations can be found in Kavala, Neochori and Pyrgos where there is a boat garage as well as a trader close by. Take your boat and move away from the immediate coastline and slow your boat to a halt. Scroll wheel and select "Start Fishing". This will begin to fill your inventory with fish for a random amount of time before stopping. Now empty these fish into the cargo hold of the boat using T.  Rinse and repeat until both the cargo hold and your virtual inventory (P) is full.

Head back to shore and when it looks safe head to the trader to sell your fish. Return to your boat and collect more from the cargo hold before selling them. Continue until all are sold and then store your cash in the ATM.

Delivery Missions

Fishing too complicated for you? Try delivery runs! These require just a vehicle, preferably a fast one. Simply head to any marker named "DP", often with a number after it, and then interact with the sign to get a delivery mission. You simply drive to the next delivery point that it specifies and there you collect your reward. Whilst the payout isn't great, the risk is often much lower than any other form of moneymaking.

Resource Runs

For more information on this one read the "Getting Started" section which provides an in-depth explanation of completing a run. Illegal runs are the same, except this time the cops won't help you!

Gas Station Robbery

There are several gas stations across the map and for some they can represent a quick way to earn cash with just a pistol and a dream. In order to complete one of these you need a firearm. Simply scroll-wheel on the object and select "Rob". An alarm will be triggered and the local police will soon turn up if they aren't busy so make sure you are ready.  It takes a good few minutes and at the end you receive a randomised amount of money in the tens of thousands. A perk can be ascertained that reduces the chance that the alarm sounds, you may want this if you ever plan to be successful. Be reminded that you can't fire upon the police, and they can't fire on you, until either of you have initiated. 

More to come and some extra details when I get some time.

Edited by strideynet

On 9/27/2016 at 8:44 PM, Lakotiz said:

Any luck so far? It's fine if you are too busy to take a look.

34 minutes ago, strideynet said:

Any luck so far? It's fine if you are too busy to take a look.

I just rushed it now, thanks for the contributions.

We're actually planning to launch our own Wiki at some point in the future, I guess you could help us with running that, if you have any interest.

7 minutes ago, Lakotiz said:

We're actually planning to launch our own Wiki at some point in the future, I guess you could help us with running that, if you have any interest.

Hey, I am interested in helping out with a wiki! I have experience :)

20 minutes ago, Lakotiz said:

I did a lot of mediawiki stuff a while back and would be very interested in helping contribute or even help with setting up a wiki. Hit me up when you need a hand. A wiki would definitely be better for holding the amount of information we have!

I'll see tomorrow what else I can smash on your to do list. If anything these can be made into wiki articles in the end anyway.

Edited by strideynet

On 02/10/2016 at 7:45 PM, Lakotiz said:

@Lakotiz Which staff member should I liaise with if I want to help with the Wiki? I assume someone is project managing it.

5 minutes ago, strideynet said:

@Lakotiz Which staff member should I liaise with if I want to help with the Wiki? I assume someone is project managing it.

AlexK will be the one setting it up (we've already experimented with it in the past and got all that under control), it's the management of the articles and setting some kind of base "structure" up that'll be the tasks we'll need help with. But I have no ETA for when we'll have the software installed and ready to build up (it's far from first priority for us right now).

Just now, Lakotiz said:

AlexK will be the one setting it up (we've already experimented with it in the past and got all that under control), it's the management of the articles and setting some kind of base "structure" up that'll be the tasks we'll need help with. But I have no ETA for when we'll have the software installed and ready to build up (it's far from first priority for us right now).

Ah okay, sounds great. I'll be here when he needs me. 

Whitelisted Factions:

HATO:

HATO, based on Highways England, is the service responsible for managing the roads of Altis. They clear abandoned vehicles, close damaged roads and assist those in dire need of repair. It is often the first faction that new players decide to join and it provides a wide range of RP opportunities and chances to interact with new and old players alike. Whilst they often assist bluefor, they are considered a neutral organisation. Like all the other factions, they are able to receive dispatches from players in need of assistance. 

Applicants are required to have only one week of play time.

HATO Application
Handbook Link

NHS:

The NHS is a medical service, modelled upon the real life British NHS system, dedicated to reviving and healing the people of Altis. Much alike HATO they are also considered neutral. They take on a variety of roles from responding to emergency situations and dispatches to hanging around near hospitals and city centers to provide medical services to the injured. Becoming a member of the NHS allows you to further explore roleplay situations and play a different role to that of a rebel, focusing on a pure RP experience. The activity rules are relatively weak so you are able to be active as a rebel and NHS simultaneously if this appeals to you. There are lots of important rules that apply specifically to medics and as such you should be careful to abide by these.

Applicants are required to have only one week of play time.

NHS Application
Handbook Link

APC:

The Altis Police Constabulary are the standard policing force of Altis. For many it is their main play style and it provides a rich and diverse experience on the server. Whilst being a member of the APC, you get a chance to meet all kinds of players and come up with interesting and exciting stories. You also get to partake in several gunfights, should that interest you. The APC is also considered the face of the server and thus it is important that its members are polite and rule-abiding. Gunfights may be exciting but RP is still the major part of the position. The duties of an APC member include:

• Keeping the streets of the cities in order,
  • Protecting the Neochori bank and the Royal Mint,
  • Preventing the movement of drugs on the island,
  • Seizing illegal firearms as to protect the people of Altis,
  • Acting as a source of information for new players within the game.

Applicants are required to have one months play time.

APC Application
Handbook Link

NATO:

NATO was sent to the island to assist with its stabilisation after the civil war. They act as a peacekeeping body and deal with major rebel threats that the APC are unable to cope with.  As such they are an elite and small force that recruits only the best and most experienced players. If you are new to the server then try the APC first. Whilst also dealing with large rebel threats, another key objective of their operation is protecting legal trade routes. You may often see them guarding copper or diamond on the island. Their primary objective is the protection of peace upon the island and they will stop at nothing to bring down those who seek to terrorise and disrupt the normal way of life.

NATO Application
Handbook Link

@Lakotiz

For under illegal jobs:

Robbing Other People

One aspect of the game, for some, is the option to rob other players. It is important that when you do this you do it correctly and within the server rules. This guide can't promise to be 100% up to date with the rules so you may want to read them yourself! Another particular point is to have a sense of decency when you do this. It may seem like a fun idea to rob copper/fish but it ruins the experience of the game for the newer players, so if you want to rob people ensure you rob people who have the means to support themselves. First, you will need to obtain a firearm with which to threaten people, this can be anything however it could be considered 'failrp' if you engage a player with a significantly larger firearm or gang within the vicinity.  Always consider if you are valuing your own life with every move. You will then need to initiate on the player, this normally consists of something along the lines of "Put your hands up right now! Put your hands up! Hands up now!". The initiation must be clear and audible for the recipient and you may be punished for RDM if the player is not given enough time to respond, at least a good few long seconds, or your initiation isn't clear. Once their hands are up you can simply press windows key on them and it will allow you to select rob. At the end of this, you receive any money or virtual inventory gear on them. If you want to acquire their weapon (or any other ARMA gear), you will need to ask them to put their hands down and drop it.  Then slowly back away and leg it before the cops arrive.

It is incredibly IMPORTANT that you consider the need to RP at all times. Ask for their name, play an interesting character. Don't just scream "Hands up. Drop all your stuff!". Explain why you might be robbing them, i.e you have a debt you have to pay. If you interact with them it makes it much more enjoyable for everyone involved!

@Lakotiz Has any further progress been made on the wiki or does it still look a few months off? I know last weekend there was a chance it was being looked at then.